All things creative

In no particular order

Hazey Jane I

| 0 comments

Listening to Hazey Jane I is always a bit of a shock. ‘Do you curse where you come from?’ is a question not very many people ask or choose to open a song with. Curse. Swear. Something is wrong. And yet the music started so big and strong, with these amazing guitar lines.
And so you hear doubt (or is it anguish) in words that clash with the confident guitar lines, and it’s disconcerting.
And there are a lot of questions asked.

I initially thought it was an internal monologue, questions asked to oneself. But then the words ‘slow Jane’ would make no sense, unless Jane is the resurfacing Mary-Jane from years past.
Perhaps this is a dialogue where Nick is with someone else then, and I listened once more.
If that’s the case, it would have to be someone he feels close enough to ask important questions to. Or are these questions for this person he can only remotely ask in a roundabout way – in a song?
I’m well lost and perhaps it’s better that way: I feel like I’m glimpsing on a scene I am not supposed to have seen, and so it’s better to leave the protagonists well alone.
But the music’s energy, focus and clarity stand so much at odds with the worded doubts?
The effect is rather unsettling.